Monday, February 27, 2006

 

Fever For The First Time



26-FEB-2006:
Dominic experienced his first fever after his jabs yesterday. He had two injections yesterday; one for the pneumococus vacination and one for Hepatitis B, Hib and DTap.
I've heard that some babies are cranky when they're sick. But Dominic was just quiet and unenergetic. He slept most of the time. He also had poor appetite probably because he was tired.

We gave him some baby paracetamol and applied a cool gel pack on his forehead. His temperature went down within an hour or so. Looking at the photos below, I can't help thinking how cute he is with the cool pack on his forehead. But I pray for him to never have another fever again (if that's possible). Although it was a mild fever, it was extremely emotionally stressful for me.


I remember the old chinese practice whereby they will wrap themselves or their children in a blanket and keep them in a warm room so that they will "sweat the fever out". I think I have tried it before when I was small and it seemed to work and I felt much better after I've "sweat it out". However, I guess the modern practice is to bring the body temperature down as soon as possible. My sister-in-law even told me that once she took her son to the hospital because of a high fever and the staff there took off all his clothes and wrapped him up in a wet cold blanket from head to toe to bring his body temperature down.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?





Google