Monday, February 14, 2011

 

Dom's 5th Birthday

14-FEB-2011:

Dom's 5th birthday was in late December, just before Christmas and here is what happened. The menu was set by Saimun. He wanted everyone to have a sit down dinner rather than a party buffet style. He requested for Jamie Oliver roast chicken, mashed potatoes and salad, which I made. This time, he didn't buy something to top up the menu. I made two types of roast. And because I thought maybe some of the guests, especially MIL, may not like the strong rosemary, thyme and basil smell, I threw in asian style chicken wings as well. Plus some french fries and pasta for the kids.

There should've been enough food. There was leftover after all. The problem was, there wasn't enough of the Jamie Oliver roast whereas nobody liked the Asian chicken wings and the pasta. Hmm ... It's hard to please everyone. Sometimes it is better to leave them with no choice. Haha!

This time there was less work. Everything was done by the oven. Problem was I wished I had more than one oven so that I could do them all at the same time rather than one after another. This time, my brother and family came along too and they came again the weekend after (which was Christmas) because they wanted to taste the roast again. :-) The second time was even better. It is now my signature dish, which I served again few weeks later when my ex-colleagues came over.

So the first I did was the standard red eggs.

DSC00667

And thanks to a tip from Yvonne, I made the eggs into a salad (nobody ate the eggs during Em's birthday). This time, all the eggs were gone. :-)

DSC00669

Then, Dom's birthday cake, which he requested for a "chocolate mud cake". When I asked him what he meant by "mud cake", he said it has to be sticky and gluey. Okay, I found this recipe from the Internet and I had no idea how it will turn out to be, except that it was called "chocolate mud cake". I could only wish it would turn out the way he wanted. When I took it out of the oven, it was sticky or gluey at all. So to make it sticky, I made a chocolate ganache and poured it over the cake. I made sure I did not put the cake into the fridge so that the ganache remained melted and gluey. He liked it, but the rest of the people thought it was too sweet.

DSC00680

Rest of the food:

DSC00672 DSC00674 DSC00675 DSC00676 DSC00677

And here are his birthday presents. Since it was 1 week before Christmas, we stashed all the presents under the Christmas tree.

DSC00678


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?





Google