Saturday, July 15, 2006

 

Dominic is Feeding Himself!

15-July-2006:
Yesterday, a German friend of SM mentioned that his son is also 6 months old and he's already drinking milk on his own. In fact, he is about 10 days younger than Dominic. And so I started training Dominic to drink on his own too. I propped him up on pillows, put the bottle into his mouth and closed his hands over the bottle. He would let go of his hands and the bottle will fall. It took about 4 - 5 times before he finally got the idea. By the end of the day, when SM came home from work, he was already feeding himself.
Another friend mentioned that she wouldn't care when her baby does certain things, as any other man on earth can walk and talk - it wouldn't matter if somebody started walking earlier than others. I told her that it would make my life easier if I taught Dominic to feed himself. He had the capability to do certain things, but I had to show him how. I am pretty sure that if I had taught him to feed himself earlier, he would be able to do it.
My life is indeed easier now. Dominic is feeding himself on every feed except the 10pm feed where I wake him up and feed him while he's still half asleep. I still need to be near him when he's drinking because sometimes he would become uninterested, drop the bottle and reach for his toy instead. Other times if he wasn't too hungry, he would throw the bottle away, as if he was tossing a ball. But most of the time, he would finish his milk while I took a nap next to him, read the newspaper, work on the computer or just sat there watching him.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?





Google