Monday, August 21, 2006

 

Mummy Said "No"

21-Aug-2006:
I accidentally discovered that Dominic could understand what I said. He used to love tugging at anything that he could tug, such as the computer cables, electrical wires, telephone cables, etc. One day, he was reaching for the power socket and I said 'No'. To my surprise, he stopped, turned to me and started cyring. It was the first time I realised that my words had meaning to him. To make sure that it wasn't a coincidence, I said 'No' a few more times each time he reached for something forbidden and I got the same reaction. Here, I have captured one of the incidents on video: http://sukye.multiply.com/video/item/12.
Besides 'No', Dominic understood other words too. For example, he would open his mouth wide when I said 'Let mummy brush your teeth. Open your mouth'. And he would react with excitement when I said 'Nan-nan'.
Dominic now understands that power sockets, cables and such are off limits to him. They still fascinates him, but each time he wanted to reach for them, he would hesitate and look at me. I would always tell him 'No'. Sometimes he would cry, and other times he would just move on to his other toys.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?





Google