Friday, January 09, 2009

 

Another Good Read

Marian Keys - Anybody Out There?

I highly recommend this wonderful book which is both hilarious and heart-breaking. How often do you find a book that makes you laugh (aloud) and cry at the same time?

This is a very depressing story about a woman (Anna) who lost her husband (Aidan) in a car accident, but Anna lived in denial and she kept trying to contact Aidan by sending him emails and leaving voicemails on his mobile phone, therefore it came at a shock when Aidan's death was finally revealed (not really a shock for me because I flipped ahead and read the ending). And after Anna had accepted her husband's death she frantically searched ways to *contact* him, paying thousand of dollars to a 'medium' who claimed to be gifted. Somehow when I describe it here, the story sounds so common and boring. Although the general outline of the story is so heart-breaking, humour jumped at me at every page. And it relates (very realistically) the process of coping with the death of a loved one.

If it is really possible for us to contact the dead, chances are they will tell us that they are well, they are happy, they are in no pain anymore and they are in a better place. The only ones who suffer are the ones left behind.

I dreamed I was missing
You were so scared
But no one would listen
Cause no one else cared

After my dreaming
I woke with this fear
What am I leaving
When I'm done here

No price for anyone who can guess who wrote that. :p It's part of a song, by the way.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?





Google