Tuesday, May 19, 2009

 

From a Mother's Perspective

18-MAY-2009:


Last Wednesday's topic was about Jesus. What have I learnt about him? What do I think of him? What do other people think of him?


But never mind about that. What interests me is the relationship between Jesus and his mother, Mary. I believe that Jesus was Mary's first child, otherwise how could she be a virgin?


I can't even begin to find the words to emphasize how important a child is to his mother. Suddenly you find your whole priority in life shift to the child. You start to address your husband as 'daddy', your parents are now known as 'grandma' and 'grandpa' instead of mum and dad. Now, 'darling' and 'sweetheart' refer to the child, not your husband. Sadly, everything in your life as dropped a notch in your priority list because now at number 1 is that beloved child.


And yet, Jesus was not really Mary's son, was he? She was just a surrogate mother. In fact, very little was said at all about their relationship in the bible. Jesus had other priorities far more important than his mother. I think Mary would have been devastated and heartbroken to see her own son (although not really her son but one she carried for 9 months and gave birth to) detached from her life and she bearing very little importance in his life. I'm not saying what I think was really what happened but that's the feeling I get.


I don't think I could ever be that gracious if I'm told that my son was the messiah and that he had to die to save the world. I would probably say, kill me instead.


Comments:
Ya, you have a point there.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?





Google