Thursday, July 16, 2009

 

Exciting News!

16-JUL-2009:

It's true when they say that everything is in God's hands. Many of you know that we had always wanted to move back to Malaysia. One day. Eventually. Only that we didn't know when that 'one day' will come. We've had so many considerations that the sequence of events is a bit fuzzy in my memory now.

I remember talking about it when the recession hit and Saimun's company was offering redundancy packages. We thought it would be great to leave the country with a big lump sum of tax-free money. But then, he got promoted. We said we would wait and he should experience his new role for a few months. There would be another one - most probably.

True enough, there was a 2nd round of VSS - I'm not sure if it was 6 months or 1 year later. But he didn't take it. I don't remember why exactly but I think it's because the recession was really bad by now and I guess we were worried that we might not be able to find jobs back in Malaysia. Besides, I think I was pregnant and I wanted to enjoy my maternity leave and pay. We didn't know that the pregnancy was going to end prematurely.

Finally, I got pregnant again early this year and everything has been fine. Our plan was to deliver the baby here, stay for about a year and then perhaps move back to Malaysia. Then, about a month ago, Saimun's project got shelved and he has been on the bench ever since. In fact, he's been spending all of his time at home up till now because he didn't know which office he should go to. Meanwhile, he spent some time looking for other projects because he can't possibly be non-chargeable for long. He had a tough time because all of the projects are based outside of London, which means he'll have to be away from home for most of the time.

One evening, he told me that there's a role with Telekom Malaysia and should he apply? I had doubts, only because Plan A was so set in my mind and I was really looking forward to it. I've already notified my company that I'll start my maternity leave on 1st September. I will send Dom to the nursery for half a day, five days a week and I've got all the activities planned for the afternoons. On Mondays, we will go swimming. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, we will attend play groups. On Wednesdays, we will bake a cake at home, and on Fridays we will take a break and just relax. I was totally looking forward to the two months with Dom before I deliver the baby. In spite of all that, I told Saimun to go ahead because he seemed really keen. Besides, they might not want him. :p

A couple of days later, he received an e-mail from the Asia Pacific office in Singapore informing him that Telekom couldn't afford him because he's too expensive being a UK resource. Plan A was in full force again. Until the day (which was 2 days ago) he received another e-mail informing him that "Telekom would like him on board as soon as possible". Don't you hate the phrase "as soon as possible"? Saimun called me at work and we talked briefly about it. I could tell that he was really excited and with no effort at all I decided that I will support his decision, if that's what he wants. After I put down the phone, I made a pro/con list. Do you know that the best way to make a decision is to make a pro/con list? :-D

Pro:

  1. Saimun can get per diems
  2. Will be able to get private medical care - can have more scans to find out if baby is really a girl. (Later, I realized that this is not really a benefit because I can always pay for private scans here as well)
  3. Family to help around with
  4. Dominic can attend "proper education" - start to get used to M'sian education system
  5. Can use time to look for new house in M'sia
  6. 2nd hand baby clothes from Shaynne (niece)

Con:

  1. Need to pay hospital bills
  2. Baby will not be born in UK - no discount for tertiary education (Saimun explained later that since both of us are still employed in the UK, we can always come back after my maternity leave and then we can apply for PR-ship)
  3. Risk of flying - blood clot and radiation
  4. Short notice to company - may not be able to take off early (but that's all settled now - I'm starting maternity leave on 1st Aug instead)
  5. Saimun will have to work hard and late in M'sia (he added this himself)

So there. The pro/con list really got me excited because obviously there are more pros than cons. Besides, both of us will still be paid in ���s. We'll be expats in our own home country. We'll have "benefits" - perhaps free housing, company car, etc. But actually no. The project is just too cheapskate. They told Saimun to take a cab to work instead (claimable expense, by the way) and they don't provide housing. The project manager wants him there on Monday (critical 2 weeks, architecture design, bla, bla, shit), therefore Saimun will be flying off this Saturday night and he'll come back 2 weeks later to pick Dom and I up. The project is for 6 months initially but if you've worked with Accenture before you'll know that things can change by the minute. Chances are we'll come back after 6 months and continue life as usual. Or we may decide not to come back. Saimun sees this as an opportunity for transitioning and to find out if we can ever adjust back to life in M'sia.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?





Google