Tuesday, June 23, 2009

 

Hainanese Chicken Rice

23-JUNE-2009:

Last Wednesday was my first attempt at making Hainanese Chicken Rice (since I was working at home and had plenty of time). It looked complicated but it was really quite simple, although there were lots to do because there was the chicken and the rice and the soup and the chilli sauce as well. The most difficult part about the whole process, in my opinion, was cutting up the chicken after it was cooked. I often see chicken rice sellers chopping up chickens with no effort at all - chop, chop, chop. But it was really difficult! It's not easy to get a clean cut of the bones with just one swing and it's difficult to aim the knife at the exact spot. And then the skin falls apart and sometimes the meat falls apart as well (but I think this is probably because my knife wasn't sharp enough).

Anyway, I thought it was delicious. Almost like the real deal. Saimun said it was like the real deal (yay!), but I told him mine should taste better because I used a whole corn-fed free range chicken (not cheap, okay?). We ate the chicken legs, wings and the back (because no one likes chicken breast). The next day, we ate the leftover chicken legs, wings and back, accompanied with a stir fry vege. On the 3rd day, I made a salad using the chicken breast meat. So in total, we took 3 days to finish the whole chicken. :-D

Click here for the recipe

CIMG5910


Comments:
Well done! *clap* *clap*
 
Did you try cutting the chicken when it has cooled down? This way, the meat will not 'fall' off.
 
Yes, I let it rest for at least 15 mins before cutting it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?





Google