Tuesday, February 26, 2008

 

How Can You Tell If a Child Is Color Blind?

26-FEB-2008:

I have been teaching Dominic colors for over a month now but he doesn't seem to be getting it. Sometimes he gets it right, sometimes he doesn't and I think it's mainly by chance that he got it right. Sometimes red is red, sometimes red is blue, and sometimes yellow is green. But he always gets black and white right - I'm sure of that. What if he only sees black and white in his world? How can you tell if the child is color blind?

I doubt that Dominic is color blind though. How else would he be able to tell milk from juice by just looking at it? He could pick out matching colored socks too. But when it comes to painting and drawing, colors make no difference to him. Or perhaps he doesn't really care? Or maybe he's just a slow learner.

Another thing ... my brother told me that his girlfriend's son (who is 2.5 years old, I think) can already count from 1 to 30. So I started teaching Dominic to count - from 1 to 10, not to 30. Everytime I asked him to count, he would go "one ... two ... one ... two ... one ... two ... one ... two ...". Where is three? When I said "three ...", he would continue "four ... five ..." and then back to "one ... two ... one ... two ... one ... two ...". And then when I said "six ... seven", he would go "eight!" ... and then back to "one ... two ... one ... two ...". Hahaha ... I am having a mixed feeling of frustration and amusement.

Two things that I'm happy about today:

  1. I'm happy that some normality has come back into life now that Dominic is back at the nursery.
  2. I'm happy that Dominic is learning shapes at school although he already knows his shapes.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?





Google