Sunday, August 31, 2008

 

So Much For Patriotism

31-AUG-2008:

It didn't occur to me that today is Merdeka day, until I read my aunt's blog (that's Cattypants' mum). So much for patriotism on my part. In 2007, I wasn't around on this day either. Neither was I around in 2006. I was around in 2005 but can't remember anything significant about that day - except perhaps I didn't have to work. :-) Something interesting that my aunt wrote - "Instead of improving the situation since the 1950s, the children of Malaysia are more concious of their race than before. Because if you are not a Malay (or a Bumi) you will be treated differently (acceptance into local U or into civil services or promotions in civil service). It is not something that people are not aware of. Don't you find that disgusting? We are actually OPENLY discriminated and we accepted that. I actually didn't feel it until I came to live in a country that treats me as an equal.

My aunt also put up photos of her neighbourhood. To get to the road where her house is, there are guards at each side of the road and two barriers at each guard post. This means that if you are to drive through, you need the guard to open a manual barrier and then use your remote control to open the second one. And then when you get to your house, you use another remote control to open your gate. And then you use your key to open the grill (which I assume every house has), and another key to open the main door? Does that tickle you? But I completely believe that it's necessary. Oh, oh ... I forgot. You need to turn of the alarm once you're in the house too!


Comments:
What a short and sweet (and very accurate) observation.

"openly discriminated and we accepted that" - kinda sound like we are at their mercy. After more than 50 years of independence, some bumis still refer to the non-bumis as "immigrants" or "pendatang". Urgh. Disgusting.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?





Google