Tuesday, May 25, 2010

 

Food at Grandma's Birthday

25-MAY-2010:

This post is very overdue. Grandma's birthday bash was on May 1, 2010 and we all went back to Ipoh to celebrate it with her. As per tradition, we had dinner at the same Tai Thong restaurant, which has recently moved to a new location this year. I think I overheard my uncle saying that the cost of the dinner that night was RM300 per person. We had our own room with an en-suite wash room and karaoke system.

First dish was shark's fin soup. Please, don't talk to me about the cruelty of killing sharks and cutting off their fins and whether they will extinct very soon. But one question though - does the high mercury content of shark meat apply to the fin as well? Anyway, what we had that night was no ordinary shark's fin soup. There were two parts of it, (1) the fin and the gravy, (2) The soup. Basically the fin and gravy was tasteless, but the soup was tasty. I'm not sure we were meant to eat it. Were we supposed to mix the soup and fin? Or eat the fin and drink the soup separately? In the following photo, you can see that the fin is in one piece, not miserably thin strands.

IMG_0736

IMG_0737

Next on the menu was the standard suckling pig dish. Again, I know it's cruel to kill and eat baby piglets but it wasn't me who ordered the food. By the way, I don't eat this dish at all (don't like the pork smell) and I don't eat roast pork (siu yuk) unless it's been stir fried with vegetables and soya sauce. However, this time, everyone was saying how delicious this suckling pig was, and I took a bite and it was true, it didn't have that awful piggy smell.

IMG_0739

What came next was this 'peach bun'? Basically, it was a huge bun made into the shape of a peach. I understand that this is a traditional birthday dish. No one was allowed to dig in until grandma had officiated the 'opening ceremony'.

IMG_0740

IMG_0741

After the 'opening ceremony', I saw that inside the huge peach was actually many small little peach buns. This represents the children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. :-)

IMG_0743

After that, we had all the usual stuffs - fish, mushrooms broccoli, prawns, etc, which were all divided into individual portions, which means that you get only one prawn, one mushroom, etc. No fun at all. :p

IMG_0744

I had caviar for the first time - those black stuffs by the side of the prawn dish. Not sure what is so nice about it - do not know how to appreciate. :p

_DSC1514

The 'long life noodle' is also a standard birthday dish.

P1160542

For dessert, we had this - something (snow jelly or something) cooked in coconut. This was good but too much of it. It was the thing that finally filled up my stomach.

IMG_0748

Of course, we also ate the birthday cake.

When the dinner was almost over, the chef came out to wish my grandma a happy birthday. The chef was quite an old man himself. Does anyone know why chefs wear tall hats?

IMG_0747


Comments:
"But one question though - does the high mercury content of shark meat apply to the fin as well?"
Yes, of course it does. Wishful thinking won't make it go away.

I'm kind of appalled that you know about finning yet you still eat the soup. If you were ignorant about it then at least you would have an excuse. If you don't want people to talk to you about it... don't blog about it.
 
You perpetuate the killing of sharks, brag about it, then expect people not to talk about it?

I hope "Grandma" enjoyed her birthday because your kids or perhaps even you will not not even know what a shark is. Because of your ignorant act you are contributing to the demise of these beautiful animal and teaching future generations everything is disposable.

By the way, EVERY part of a shark, fins, cartage, liver, etc. contain toxins including Mercury from our pollution.
 
1) Yes, there will be a dangerously high level of mercury in all parts of the shark's body, so you are damaging yourself (whale and dolphin meat is also extremely toxic for the same reason)
2) Eat up fast because you probably won't ever be able to eat shark fin soup again by the end of the decade. The oceans will be empty by then. If you do not care about other animals, then you are cruel. But if you do not care that there will be no food left in the oceans for any human to eat, you are stupid and even crueller.
 
So when the human race is almost gone and we are all starving for oxygen, we should still not speak to you of being a participant in MURDER as you enjoy your TASTELESS soup?!?! It's people like you that will go first when the END comes.
 
I am sorry that you have been abused for what you have said...but you do realise that you will be the last generation of your family to enjoy shark fin soup right??
Your forebears have just about killed every shark in the ocean...just so they can eat a tasteless soup. Now honestly...don't you think that's a bit silly??
It is up to YOU to stop this barbaric and outdated practice.
 
I know ... you guys are right. It is a very cruel act. What I meant by "don't talk to me about it" was that I had no control whatsoever on what was put on the table that night. My logic was that the shark was dead, it was on the table, the fishermen/seller/restaurant owner had already earned a cut, so it makes no real difference whether I ate it or not. Most importantly, it was my grandmother's birthday and she is 80-over years old. I was not about to stage a strike and tell her our ignorant she is. She doesn't have many years to live herself.

Anyway, I agree that it is an outdated barbaric action. I have not ordered shark's fin myself but have kept quiet in occassions when somebody else did. I don't feel strongly enough about that topic to start an argument with my friends and family. And it's also not in my nature to be highly opinioned and argumentative.
 
The difference is that if you stop eating it/buying it then people will have to stop supplying it. if the demand goes away, they will stop mass murdering sharks. not eating it if it has already been bought/cooked etc is more of a statement than anything else. it's stating that you are not ok with the way that meal got to you.
 
Dear Skye,

While you may not have wanted to cause an argument with your grandmother on her 'special day', by posting a blog about eating the soup and writing "Please, don't talk to me about the cruelty of killing sharks and cutting off their fins and whether they will extinct very soon", you are, by association encouraging this barbaric and outdated practice.

As Duncan says, if you were ignorant about it it would be slightly excusable, but you actually KNOW about it and yet go right ahead and talk all about the experience of eating it!!

The fact is, your logic was flawed: the shark may already be dead, the people have their cuts etc - but as long as the attitude "well it's there I may as well eat it" continues, it perpetuates the situation. If, on the other hand, when a dish is brought to the table, people start REFUSING to eat it (or better yet boycotting the restaurant and telling them that you will spread the word to others to boycott), restaurants will be forced to start reconsidering what they serve...
It's all very well claiming to not like confrontation and arguments but this is a lazy and ultimately selfish standpoint to take - "all it takes for evil to triumph is for good men (people) to do nothing".
I too HATE confrontation, but there comes a time when enough is enough and we must stand up for what is right...
All this said, I hope that the reactions to your post encourage you to change your stance - I am not here to hurl abuse/belittle you for your actions - this is not conducive to constructive debate... this is all about education and if our generation does not begin to take action then it is already too late... what kind of world would you like your child to live in? One full of natural beauty and wonder, or a grey, desolate wasteland?
You have the power to shape the future!!!
 
PS... to further expound on the Mercury issue...

FYI the Mercury levels are in fact CONCENTRATED to an even higher level in the fin during the drying process, so you're effectively poisoning yourself while enjoying something that is purely there as a status symbol - the equivalent of parading around in a fur coat that was made through the slaughter of thousands of animals - and dousing it in poisonous chemicals before you put it on!!! - when another material would be just as warm...
 
Like I said, I didn't feel strongly enough about the topic to make a statement, but after all the things you guys said, it has given me a new perspective. While I don't think I'll turn into a shark-loving fanatic who calls everyone who eats sharks fin cruel, a murderer, stupid and what not, I think I'll at least voice out (not in a hostile way) when the situation presents itself the next time. At the very, very least, I'll remember what you ppl said here.
 
Thank you for reading our comments and publishing them on your blog. I realise that sometimes people, myself included, can get irate and confrontational over this issue. However the more you read about it, the more worrying you realise the situation is. If it were "just" about the sharks, that would be enough. But elimination of sharks (a key top predator) from the oceans will have huge effects on the health of the oceans and ultimately on the planet and the human race. It sounds like a cliche, but I'm not just doing this for the sharks, I'm doing it for my kids.
 
I do filter out some comments because they are meant to hurt rather than be constructive. I do not want the anger and hate to spread around.

It is true what Duncan said - the more we read about the topic, the more worrying it becomes. To be honest, I wasn't aware of the severity of the situation but have been doing some reading on the Internet and now I know. So in fact, I should thank you for giving me that insight.

I welcome constructive feedback. After all, we should help each other to become better people.
 
Hi Skye, good for you for finding you more :) big thumbs up!! I know it is especially hard to deal with elder family members/past generations... I am from South Africa and have been so overwhelmed in the past by large, outspoken numbers of my parent's generation that I have said nothing against their racist comments... it says something about you that you were willing to take on board the constructive criticism and follow up on it, rather than just ignoring it as I think many people would have. in the end we are ALL guilty in some way... I mean I eat beef and chicken - even though they aren't an endangered species I know what happens to them in those abattoirs and it's not pleasant. Again - thanks for your willingness to learn and I agree that nothing good ever came from simply attacking a person (this issue tends to raise the emotions!)
cheers!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?





Google