Friday, March 28, 2008

 

The Old Man With The Walking Stick

28-MAR-2008:

I have to admit that I am a bit of a paranoiac when it comes to safety in the streets, car parks or other public places - as in I am absolutely terrified of being robbed, kidnapped, rapped and the like. Back in Malaysia, I wouldn't walk in the streets if I could help it. If I had to, I would walk very quickly and be very wary of the people around me. I wouldn't walk next to or near another person - unless it was too crowded to avoid that. If someone approached within 3 feet of me, I would hurry up or try to turn towards another direction. If I was alone and I needed to get to my car, I would make sure that no one was around and hurry to my car. Once inside, the first thing I would do was lock all doors. Yes, I was that paranoid. I mean ... I still am that paranoid, but I generally feel safer here in the UK.

Yesterday, I was walking home with my groceries when I saw an old man with a walking stick heading towards the opposite direction. Towards me. Although I am paranoid, I didn't really expect anything bad to happen to me in London, in a rather safe neighbourhood like this and in broad daylight too. What with the man being at least 70 years old and on a walking stick. There was nothing to worry about. But what happened next and my reflexes shocked the hell out of me.

He said "Excuse me ...". I looked up. He was about 1 foot away from me. He raised his walking stick at 120 degrees, motioning it towards me. My first instinct was danger, he was a mad old man who was going to beat the hell out of me. I backed away and started to turn around. He saw my horrified expression. He quickly lowered his walking stick and apologised. As it turned out, he only wanted to ask for directions. But he has the habit of pointing using his walking stick! He meant to point straight ahead and ask "Is this Coronation Street?" I was so embarassed. I said I was sorry for my over-reaction but my heart was still beating at top speed.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?





Google