Friday, April 18, 2008

 

Dominic's Diary at 2 Years and 4 Months Old

18-APR-2008:

I have nothing to write about today, so I'll write about Dominic who is going to be 2 years and 4 months old soon. At the nursery, he is getting louder and more talkative. It has been almost 4 months since he first attended nursery and he has become very familiar with the people and the environment there now. He now grabs his bowl and spoon and finds his own seat at breakfast every morning. He has friends now and there's a little girl who follows him around most of the time. ;-) He also recognizes his friends' parents when we meet them in the street.

At home, he is becoming more and more vocal - although only mummy understands him most of the time. He is speaking in sentences now but he often omits the "the", "a", "is", "in" in the sentences. When reading a very simple book, he tries to repeat after me.

Me: All aboard, off we go!
Him: Aboard, go!
Me: Ooh, it's dark. I don't think I like tunnels.
Him: Ooh, dark. Like tunnels.
Me: Whee! We're flying! No, silly. We're on a bridge.
Him: Whee! Flying! Silly bridge.

Daddy said I should shorten the sentences so that he can follow.

When listening to music, Dominic tries to sing along, picking up words here and there (often the last word in the phrase. There's no tune to his songs yet - just sort of yelling at the top of his voice, much like Mumbo in Happy Feet.

He likes to ask me what's this and what's that - and sometimes I don't even know the answer. But he picked up a lot of words by asking.

In terms of living skills, he can put on his own shoes and jacket now (and have no problems with taking off his clothes!). He brushes his teeth on his own now - only in the morning (mummy brushes them for him at night). He doesn't wear nappies when he's at home now - except when sleeping. And he will tell me if he wants to pee or poop.

One thing that I have overlooked is his physical development in terms of sports / exercise. I think I should in the future include more activities that train his reflexes such as catching a ball, kicking the ball towards the direction that you want or hitting the ball with the tennis racket.

Dominic is generally easy to take care of. He eats on his own, goes to sleep on his own, generally obedient, able to follow instructions and easy to distract. I'll be blessed if my second child is as easy as him. The only problem is that he can't leave mummy alone. He can't play on his own - he has to ask mummy to fix this or hold that or "help" him play. Sometimes when he's watching the TV, he wants me to sit beside him and watch with him, and wants me talk through the show telling him what's this and what's that thing doing. He sticks to me like glue and sometimes if he's upset or unhappy, he doesn't even want his daddy. Well, that's the only inconvenience.

Socially, he is able to warm up to strangers much more quickly now. I hope his reaction towards his grandma, grandpa, uncles, aunties and cousins when we go back to M'sia this time will be better than the last time. Not many got a chance to touch him the last time. :p


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?





Google