Monday, April 14, 2008

 

My Pregnancy Diary at 7 weeks

14-APR-2008:

This time round, the procedure is a bit different from what I experienced when I was pregnant with Dominic back in M'sia.  At 7 weeks, I finally had my first appointment with the GP today.  The GP was a very nice, friendly young lady.  The first thing she wanted to know was whether I am happy with the pregnancy and if I would like to keep the baby.  I have a feeling that it is rather easy to get an abortion in this country.  I shouldn't be too worried if I accidentally get pregnant again in the future.  

After confirming that I'm happy with the pregnancy, the doctor then wished me congratulations.  She asked some basic questions such as if this is my first pregnancy, where did I give birth previously, did I have any problems, etc, etc.  She calculated my expected due date, which is to be 27 November 2008 and took my blood pressure.  And then she asked if there's any preferred hospital that I would like to give birth in.  I didn't realize that I had to make that decision that early so I haven't done any research.  The GP recommended one which in her opinion is the best.  That would be Queen Charlotte Hospital.

So what happens next is that the GP will write to the hospital and then the hospital will assign me a midwife and I'll get an appointment through the post when I'm around 12 weeks pregnant.  I was told that the midwives will not see anyone until the 11th or 12th week.  So here's what will happen following that (which sounds pretty good to me IF I really do get all these services).

On my first appointment with the midwife, I will get my first ultrasound scan.  I will have a blood test and I will be issued a form that entitles me to free prescription (such as folic acid) and free dental services.  Following that I will see the midwife and/or GP every 3 weeks and the standard tests such as Down's Syndrome and what not will take place at the appropriate time (the tests are listed in a booklet but I haven't read it yet).  I will have a choice on whether to give birth in the hospital or at home.  And I will be able to choose the type of childbirth that I want, which includes active birth, natural birth and high-tech birth.  High-tech birth means medically controlled such as with the use of epidural and c-section.  However, elective c-section is not a choice and will only be carried out for medical reasons.  My partner and I will get free antenatal classes.  Alright - these are the standard procedures - whether or not I get all those will be another question.

Before I left the clinic today, the GP handed me a pregnancy guide book that contains all the information I need to know.

Because I didn't get an ultrasound scan today and because I don't feel any symptoms of being pregnant, I am a liiiiiittle bit doubtful that there's a baby growing inside me.  :p


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?





Google