Monday, April 14, 2008

 

She Sells Sea Shells by the Sea Shore

14-APR-2008:

Talk about tongue-twisting phrases, Dominic can say snake skin with perfect pronunciation.  He said "snake skin", not "nake kin" okay?  

Dominic's grandma still thinks he can't talk because he refused to call her "ma-ma".  Well, in every web cam conversation she bombards Dominic with nothing but "Call ma-ma! Call ma-ma! Two years old already still dunno how to call ma-ma!" (in mandarin).  Poor Dominic just stared at the laptop.  Besides, 60-year-old ma-ma has a hearing problem. Everytime Dominic did call "ma-ma" she either missed it or wasn't paying attention.  My comment is "sai hei" (waste of breath).  

Oh yeah ... I just remembered that I overheard daddy's conversation with ma-ma about food during confinement.  She advised to eat pork for every meal because (1) You're not supposed to eat anything other than pork and chicken during confinement anyway (according to her beliefs), AND (2) You're not sure about the "origin" of British chicken and they might be "poisonous".  I would like to call that a load of rubbish but what do I know?  After all, the "poison" will only hit me 10-20 years later.  I wonder what the British women here eat after giving birth if that's the case.  If I have to eat pork every day for one whole month, I'd rather go vegetarian ... but then she said that vegetables are "cold" ("leong" - in cantonese) and will cause diarrhoea.  

On another note, I caught Dominic hugging his giant beach ball yesterday while talking to himself "Is this blue?  No, this is green.  Is this red? No, this is white."  It was so cute.  

Have you ever come across two words that don't quite sound the same but you always get confused between the two?  I think Dominic is having the same problem with necklace and tentacles.  He always refers to tentacles as necklace, and necklace as necklace.  He had this sheepish look on his face when he realized that he had got it wrong.  Again.  



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?





Google