Tuesday, July 01, 2008

 

Home Move

1-JULY-2008:

We finally moved in to our new home last Thursday. We have "downgraded" to a more expensive ground floor conversion flat. I say "downgraded" because this place is much older, has one bathroom instead of two and doesn't have a balcony but a front garden instead which you can't do anything useful with, such as hanging out your laundry to dry. Let me tell you that I've never seen the new place until a day before we were due to move in. Daddy did all the sighting and merely consulted me on the location and I okay-ed it based on his description (which was not much) and a few photos. Happy to say that we made the right choice and I'm really comfortable here (except for a few things, as usual). :-)

So, we started packing on Wednesday night and were really *surprised* by the amount of stuffs we have. We felt like no matter how much we've managed to pack, there were still stuffs to be packed. By Thursday morning, our living room was so full of boxes that there was hardly any floor space to walk on. So was the balcony.

And there were even more in the rooms. Dominic was of no help at all, not to mention he "unpacked" some of his toys that we've put into boxes.

We hired a van that came with two big guys and were told that we "have a lot of stuffs" - as if we don't already know that. As it turned out, we had so much stuffs that Dominic and I had to take a bus separately to the new house.

We spent the whole day unpacking. At the end of the day, I've never felt so tired in my whole life. However, I was relieved that Dominic was an angel and didn't bother us at all. He managed to find his pillow among the mountain of stuffs and fell asleep in the middle of the corridor.

This is how our front door looks like.

When you walk in the door, you see this long hallway.

The kitchen is an upgrade from the previous one. Instead of having a fridge/freezer that fits under the kitchen top, now we have something double the size of that. I also love having a window sill by the sink where I can put pots of flowers and some recipe books. There's also a little window for me to keep an eye on Dominic while I'm in the kitchen. Unfortunately, this place doesn't come with a microwave - something so essential and absolutely can't do without - so I ordered one immediately the next day.

The bathroom is not fantastic and much too small for my liking. We have to leave Dominic's red Ikea chair outside the bathroom now. Worse, the floor is tiled and feels extremely cold! But these are just small inconveniences.

Dominic's room is lovely although smaller. He has a wonderful view to the back garden (which belongs to the neighbour upstairs). He also has more drawers now and a huge built-in wardrobe (which he's sharing with mummy at the moment). Daddy gets a wardrobe all to himself too in our bedroom.

Daddy and mummy's room is basic but we have more storage space for clothes now. I only realized that I've lived in London for 2 years without a full length mirror until I saw one here. Well, it's not exactly full length but at least now I can see what I look like from top to hip. There is a rocking chair in the room which I find pretty useless except to entertain Dominic.

The only place in the house that's not nicely done and tidied yet is the living room. The first thing daddy did on Saturday was to get a flat screen HD ready LCD TV. I've never understood the importance of a TV to a man but I could see that it was very important to him. Our Sky installer came and fixed up our satellite TV on the same day and we're back in business as far as entertainment is concerned. We're currently having problems with our telephone line and our broadband is not connected yet (however some generous person in the neighbourhood left his/her wireless unprotected and we're free-riding at the moment).


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?





Google