Monday, September 08, 2008

 

It's All About Dominic

8-SEP-2008:

Dominic is now 2 years and 8 months old. Well, maybe a couple of weeks older than that but I'm not counting in weeks and days. I think the most significant development since a month ago is that he doesn't need nappies anymore during afternoon naps. Dominic usually put on nappies during the afternoon naps but when I picked Dominic up from the nursery one day, I was told that he hasn't been wetting his nappies for 3 days in a row, so they had stopped putting him on nappies since then. It's so cool although he comes home occasionally with wet pants. We've done that at home too but a couple of times, he slept for like 3 hours and wet the couch. We know he can hold his pee while asleep now because he woke up as soon as he wet the couch and when we took him to the toilet it was obvious that he had held it in for a long time. It will be some time before he can get through the night without nappies as well. I think my nephew still wet his bed at 5 years old.

As my cousin Cattypants blogged about sunny Saturdays and the beginning of spring in Melbourne, summer has officially ended in London. The weather is getting rainy and cold. Daddy bought Dominic this sleep suit (pictured below) to keep him warm during the night. Dominic hasn't worn a sleep suit since he was like 1 year old and started walking. I thought those were for babies only and I didn't know they sell sizes for 2 years and above, but apparently Osh Kosh does. As anticipated, Dominic refused to put it on, and when we finally managed to coax him into it (telling him it has stripes like a Tigger suit), he wanted out, giving all sorts of excuses: Can't see his feet, can't walk, hot, need to pee, etc, etc. We told him it's essential to keep him warm and he requested for sweater and socks instead. I was impressed that at this age, he can already negotiate and compromise - suggesting alternatives. Another example, when he requested for cookies before dinner and I said no, he provided suggestions such as "How about corn flakes?", "How about yogurt?" or his favourite "only one?". I'm proud of my little boy.

CIMG4151

Dominic can finally count now. Not just 'saying' 1 to 10 but actually count the number of things. He can pick out 3 yellow blocks from a pile of colourful blocks and can count the number of dinosaurs in his book - up to twelve. He was the cutest little thing last night when he asked me to hold his hand while he slept. I told him that I couldn't do that because I had work to do and he said "just one". I held his hands for a moment and said okay, I need to go, and he went "just two". I said okay, that's the last time but after that he said "just three". I left the room after "three" but he was calling out for "just four". I ignored him and he fell asleep pretty soon.

I also noticed that he has become more and more independent and believe it or not, at this young age, he already needs privacy. He told me to go away when I sat and watched him drink his milk ... or when I peeped in the toilet while he was doing his poo. He wouldn't allow me to be around at all when he's in the toilet and he wants the door closed while he's at it.

Dominic is also much bolder with strangers now - teasing them, talking to them and playing peekaboo with them on the train. It's rather embarassing when he asked in his super loud high pitched voice "What's that man doing?". It's funny that he calls every man a "man" but he has never addressed a woman before. It's like he doesn't acknowledge women but call them "people" instead. It's not like he thinks "people" means "women" because he uses "people" for men too. However once we were at the nursery and there were several mothers there and Dominic went "Hey, one, two, three ... three mummies!". He doesn't just acknowlege mummies but if there's a daddy around he would say that's somebody's daddy.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?





Google