Friday, October 31, 2008

 

Parents' Day

31-OCT-2008:

Yesterday was Parents' Day at Dominic's nursery which means parents are invited to talk about their child's progress, development plan and concerns with the key worker. From the session, I found out:

That Dominic has two best friends - Eugene (the other Chinese boy) and Rebecca (who is sort of a tomboy, from the way the teacher described her)
His likes and dislikes, his favourite toys, songs, activities, books, etc.

Well, that was the summary. I was given 15 pages of scenario-based report on his behaviour and activities for the past 4 months. Daddy commented that it looked like his performance report at work. On each page of the report, there was:

The date of the observation
A couple of photos of the incident
A detailed description of the incident. One example would be: Dominic was walking past Rebecca who was in a box. Dominic asked "Rebecca can I come in the box?". Rebecca said "Yes, Dominic come in". They took turns to play in the box. Dominic said "I am going to get helmet". Rebecca said "Can I have one too?" He said "Yes". Dominic walked to the helmets basket and got two helmets and gave one to Rebecca.
A list of development points linked to this scenario, for example: Forms friendship, shows affection for others, problem solving and innumeracy - able to get two helmets, one for himself and one for Rebecca.
Next steps and development plan, i.e. how the adult can encourage further developments in the specified areas.

I think it was a pretty thorough report considering Dominic has been there for only 4 months.

The teacher then asked if there is anything that I would like her to focus on, such as how about training Dominic out of nappies during the night as well? I said it is still too early since Dominic is not even 3 yet. The teacher insisted that it is possible since Dominic has not wet the bed even once during his afternoon naps and she thinks he's ready, but I said no, I AM not ready. :p

Instead, I wrote her a list of 9 things that I would like Dominic to learn or improve on, such as how about doing more jigsaw puzzles for a start? - Haha ... just an example, but it was one of the things in my list. The teacher said that Dominic is a smart boy and he learns very quickly, but I wonder if she says the same about every kid. However, she kept saying it with such earnesty like she really meant it. I guess we'll see how soon he can achieve my list of 9 things. :-)

Today is Halloween's and I can't see if Dominic is wearing his costume because the web cam does not respond. :-(


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?





Google