Tuesday, January 13, 2009

 

My Little Baker

13-JAN-2008:

Last week, Dom had this sudden craving for carrot cake. He must have had carrot cake in school and decided that he loved it. For 4 days, he bugged me for carrot cake and I promised him that we'll make one together during the weekend. Of course, I could have just bought him a piece of carrot cake but he said "Mummy, make a big one and keep in the fridge"! Besides, I wanted to let him see what goes into the carrot cake.

So on Sunday, we set off to work. Dominic was very helpful (although making a mess at the same time) and he actually contributed a lot. He was so proud of his cake afterwards.

First, he measured the flour (I told him to keep scooping flour into the scale until the needle points to the number I told him to stop). He did it all by himslef. Then he sifted the flour. Holding a coffee strainer in one hand, he scooped flour into it using a spoon and sifted it into a pot (pot because we don't have a large bowl). He took a while to do it, so meanwhile I grated the carrots. Then he added baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon into the flour.

Next, he measured the sugar - the same way he measured the flour (and by the way, he pronounced it as 'flower' whereas to me it has always been pronounced as 'flaar'). Then, he beat the eggs (and then told me to put in the pepper - he was probably thinking about omelette). Finally, he helped to fold everything together (with help from me because he said the mixture was too sticky).

After we popped the cake into the oven, we made the cream frosting. It was the first time I let him use the handheld electric whisk on his own. After a short while, he said his hands were tired (so I guess we do need an automatic mixer after all).

When the cake was done, I told him to take a nap. I said that by the time he wakes up, the cake will be cooled and ready to eat. When he woke up from his nap, the first thing he said was "Mummy, need to check the cake"! Haha! I had already done the frosting while he was asleep (I hope he wasn't too disappointed about that). He ate the cake after dinner and he said it was tasty.

The photo doesn't look very good, I'm sorry. I just don't have talent in photography. All my photos look crap. Either that or I have a crappy camera. But the cake tastes pretty okay.

If you're interested in the recipe, you can find it here: http://wegottaeat.com/discover/recipe/64374

CIMG5218


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?





Google