Wednesday, November 18, 2009

 

The Brother

18-Nov-2009:

For the first two weeks or so, the brother was very possessive over his sister. This is my sister, not your sister. (Me) But she's my daughter. No, she's not your daughter, she's my sister.

I've heard stories of the older sibling misbehaving because of jealousy but fortunately Dominic is not that type (yet). So far, he hasn't shown signs of jealousy and I believe that he truly cares for his siter. For example, there was a time when Emily was lying on our bed and I moved to the edge of the bed to reach Dominic (to help him with something). As I was shifting my backside towards the edge of the bed, I accidentally sat on Emily's pants (which were too long) and Dom thought that I had sat on her foot. He shouted "No!" and pushed me away. You should see the look on his face when he discovered that it was only the pants.

I think Dom might have been a little bit disappointed that his sister can't actually play with him yet. By now, he has accepted the fact that his sister can only sleep, poo and drink milk. His favourite time with Emily is when she has done a poo and he gets to help with the cleaning up (i.e. playing with water). He has tried various ways of engaging with her though, for example, holding up the iPhone that was playing Little Einsteins in front of her face, talking to her and then asked why her sister didn't want to talk to him and shouting into her ear. It's nice to see him so interested in the baby. On the other hand, in my mind Emily is extremely fragile since she's still thrombocytopenic and I'm constantly worried that Dom will accidentally hurt her.

School holiday is coming up soon and I wonder what we'll do with him for that one month plus. He's been quite fortunate so far since his daddy hasn't been to work since Emily was born (more on that in another post). Because both parents are not working, he still gets plenty of one-to-one time with both Saimun and I even after the arrival of the baby.

Dominic's current best friend is his cousin Wing Sern. They spend a lot of time together and I'm very thankful that when Wing Sern is around, Dom doesn't bother us at all. Their daily activities consist of building things, pretend cooking (didn't know that even boys enjoy masak-masak), cutting hair (pretend), singing, drawing and lots more. Recently, they have even taken up photopgraphy - will upload some of pictures that they have taken later, which include the baby's buttocks, my slippers, their grandfather sleeping and two photos of Saimun which I have deleted - one showing his bare chest and two nipples (only the chest, no head, waist up) and another showing his daddy in the process of getting dressed, pants unzipped (only the hips).

Dominic has also learned to speak a little Chinese and he can most of the time understand what his grandma is telling him. Next year, I have enrolled him into another kindy where he'll learn Mandarin.

CIMG6092

CIMG6234

CIMG6228

IMG_0179 IMG_0180


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?





Google