Tuesday, April 22, 2008

 

Going Organic

22-APR-2008:

I said it. I did it. Yesterday, I bought a whole basket full of groceries with nothing but organic vegetables and meat. For 3 days supply of fruits, vegetables and meat, the total bill costs an additional £7. The killer is the meat. Normal pork chops costs about £2.50 for the usual portion that we eat. Organic pork costs £4.98. Normal British whole chicken costs about £3-£4 each, free-range (but not organic) chicken costs £7-£8 and organic chicken costs £10-£11.

Not everything comes in organic form so I'm still eating pesticides - I hope in a much lesser amount now. It SHOULD make quite a difference since I eat a lot of the vegetables raw. Organic vegetables taste sweeter I think (or maybe it's just mental), and they don't look as beautiful or grow as big.

I have recently discovered that raw mushrooms taste fabulous with salad in olive oil dressing. Here's my tip: Buy fresh button mushrooms (not the can ones), wash them clean or if you don't like it raw, blanch it a little. Toss with baby spinach leaves, red onions, sun dried tomatoes and olive oil. Then shave in some parmesan cheese.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?





Google